Coop of Death
Living on a farm always has interesting adventures. And when you are deathly allergic to some of the animals you raise…well, those adventures can sometimes be dangerous. This morning, I accidentally got locked in one part of our chicken coop…yeah, how did that happen you may ask?

Well, when I put that particular latch on our coop door, I knew the portion the latch slides into was a bit close to it. Occasionally, the latch would slide just slightly and lock the door. This time, I was inside! For most people, this would not be cause for alarm; it would just be a simple annoyance. But, I am deathly allergic to chickens (eggs and Turkey).

I tried for sometime to get the latch to open by several different avenues…including yelling at it (that worked great). Thankfully, I had my phone with me, something I am prone to do because you never know if you could get hurt and need help (especially when one of our pigs would try to kill me while in the first few days of her cycle…more than once).

I hesitated to call my mom because I kept thinking, I can figure this out. I’m an intelligent person. I unscrewed hooks from the rafters and tried several times to “hook” the latch to pull it back, but no matter how many times I tried, the hooks were just too short to reach the latch. I normally don’t like to give up, but I realized I was starting to have pretty aggressive asthma…and I thought, how foolish am I being. I could actually die in the coop and all because I wanted to accomplish freeing myself as opposed to asking for help.

I called my mom who lives next door. Normally, she is not an early riser, and I was worried she wouldn’t hear her phone. I had a plan B and C lined up just in case. It rang twice, and she answered.

Mom: Morning, sweetie.
Me: Mom, I’m locked in the chicken coop.
Mom starts laughing.
Me: Mom, It’s not funny. I’m having an asthma attack. I need you to come right away.
Mom: Oh, no. I’m getting my jeans on now. I will be there as quickly as possible.
I rang off.
Now, she only lives a few minutes away, but my mom is slower these days, and I thought I could be in there for maybe twenty minutes before she arrived. And I also worried about her getting safely to the chicken coop; there were icy patches, and I didn’t want her to fall.

I tried to keep calm about my breathing because panicking just makes it worse, so I continued to try and free myself. Again, yelling at the door, just in case it may work that time. I also prayed…for myself and for my mom’s safety getting to the coop.

I looked at my phone to note the time. I had waited 7 minutes since talking to mom. I was trying to wrap my brain around being in their for another fifteen minutes, noting my asthma was getting worse.
Then, I caught a glimpse of pink. It was my Mom! She made it to me in 8 minutes from my call, and she even thought to bring a walking stick to steady her. I knew God truly heard my prayer and answered it perfectly.

There are many lessons I learned this morning. First, ask for help (oh stubborn, way too independent girl), second, fix that latch today! Third, put wire cutters in both coops just in case I get locked in again. Fourth, always take my phone out on the farm.